Ideas for Action, LLC Services to Colleges and Universities
Ideas for Action provides a broad range of consulting services to colleges and universities:
- Optimizing the Presidential Leadership Team/Cabinet – Improve cross-university collaboration, reduce silo mentality, optimize relationships and communications with the President. Development of group norms, discussion protocols that promote broad participation, improved decision-making, and greater ownership and accountability for the outcomes of university-wide initiatives.
- Executive Performance Evaluation Systems – Development of Cabinet-level performance evaluation systems, with formative as well as summative components, motivating VPs to work more effectively across unit boundaries. Facilitation of overall process, including pre and post-evaluation coaching conversations with both the President and VPs.
- Individualized Executive Coaching – Building individual self-awareness, improved leadership competency, targeted goal setting and accountability through the use of assessments and feedback mechanisms, including 360 degree evaluation processes.
- Individual Presidential Consultation – Confidential “thought partner” consultations. Discussions may focus on VP-level talent management assessments, evaluating individual VP executive coaching progress, and providing guidance and counsel on emerging leadership issues and challenges.
- Strategic Planning – Facilitate generative conversations among board and senior university leaders that lead to effective problem-solving in areas such as strategic market positioning, enrollment, retention and graduation rates, fiscal and budget strategies, development, faculty, staff and community engagement, technology to foster teaching and learning, and the provision of safe and vibrant campus environments.
- Critical Conversations – Facilitate stakeholder engagement by convening broad-based conversations on topics such as diversity and inclusion, sexual assault, fraternity culture, the role of athletics on campus, and other student life and institutional priorities.
- Board Development – Orient boards and university leaders to concepts, models, and best practices in governance that address the unique dynamics of higher education. Clear definition of role and responsibilities. Establish effective governance cultures that focus on the strategic rather than tactical, and on policy rather than on operations.
- Governance Structural Design – Design, facilitate and collaborate on redesigning governance entities for maximum efficiency, engagement and shared governance